Projects

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Second takes, Second Year

A couple of setbacks with the terrain pieces. Using balsa and pressing the detail in just isn't working for the roofing. I tried a test piece and didn't like the level of detail or definition. I also tried painting it thinking perhaps some dry brushing would help distinguish it. Unfortunately the base coat soaked into the balsa and swelled it up returning it to virtually flat. Now I'm a little worried about the siding. Nonetheless, I'm pressing on.

I've started doing the shingles with thin card. I was trying to avoid it since cutting out the shingles is very time consuming and I've had bad luck with card warping in the past. After completing only one part I realized I'm being a little too slapdash with them. At this scale I need to cut my shingles more uniform in size then I would for a bigger model. Some of the shingles on there would be 3 feet across in real life!

Up front is the framework for a woodshed. I'm planning on a barn and another outbuilding to complete the farmstead.


On the plus side I've been working on this blog for an entire year now. I'm pleasantly surprised I kept it up all this time and the fact that I'm still interested in continuing it as well. What I'm working on has changed dramatically from what I originally intended but that is part of the hobby I suppose. I tend to get obsessed with something but move on pretty quick. So its surprising  that I've more or less been working on one project since Christmas of last year. I guess this whole steam punk enterprise is just the right combination of things to really get its hooks into me!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your posts--keep it up! What do think of the Wolsung minis? They also have an interesting looking RPG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't gotten a chance to look at the RPG but I like the look of their minatures and the new laser cut buildings and walkways they're putting out are excellent. I also like the looks of a lot of the new Dystopian Legions minatures. I guess now is the time for Steampunk miniatures gaming. Thanks for reading and the kind words!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...